Saturday, October 29, 2011

Five Uses for Pictello

1. Providing directions for a hands-on project. For example, I assigned this project earlier this year to write a cinquain about weather. There were multiple steps:
  1. Write a rough draft on loose leaf.
  2. Show it to me for corrections.
  3. Write out a good copy on a form provided.
  4. Cut out out the poem.
  5. Glue it to a plain sheet of paper.
  6. Illustrate the poem.
  7. Choose a sheet of coloured construction paper for mounting their work.
A Pictello story could be used to remind them of the steps involved, provide samples and show them where to find the supplies they need. They could review the directions themselves without me having to repeat them over and over and over!

2. Greeting for my class for a substitute to play on days I'm absent.

I could make a Pictello story to remind them how to behave in the classroom, point out key spots in the room (list of rules, canteen basket, indoor recess activities) and preview their schedule. Seeing my face and hearing my voice might remind them that I still exist, and will eventually find out what they were up to.

3. Report from my class on a day with a substitute.

They could make a Pictello story to show me what they did. They could include photos of books they read, worksheets they completed and other activities. They could take a photo of the sub, and s/he could add add some vocals. I would get a better sense of their day, and knowing they would be making a story might keep them focused.

4. Summarize a picture book they read.

Students could take a photo of each page, and in their own words, state the main idea of that page.

5. Re-enact an incident.

If staff are having trouble getting to the bottom of an incident, students could be asked to re-enact it, using poses and facials expressions to show what happened and how they felt about it.