Saturday, October 22, 2011

Applying what you learn

I tried to use in my classroom some of the great programs we have seen in this course. My class of Gr. 5s is quite diverse--except that they all have behaviour challenges.
I realize that this is not the best way to introduce new technology, but consider it an experiment.
The procedures included:
  1. Since there are currently no computers in my room, I had to wait for our weekly hour in the computer lab.
  2. Since fewer than half our computers have speakers, and we have no headphones, I tried to find games that worked without sound.
  3. Of course, I needed free programs!
  4. Since my kids have a short attention spans, I was looking for something flashy.
  5. I choose these:
    1. Game Goo Educational Games 
    2. Into the Book 
    3. Funbrain 
    4. PBS Kids Math 
  6. I told them to Google the websites and play a game from each one for 5 minutes. They were directed to write on a worksheet which was their favourite website and why.
  7. Three students were already out of the class because of behaviour problems.
  8. Most of the rest were completely disinterested and rushed through the websites. They have a rather distorted perception of how long 5 minutes is. For some reason, they mostly chose PBS Kids Math as their favourite, with the stated reason that it was fun. Can't argue with that. 
  9. They dashed to Stardoll as soon as my back was turned.
Okay, so I'm whining, but it wasn't all bad. My three lowest readers used the Game Goo website extensively. I had to move one of them from his usual seat so he could have access to a speaker. That created a conflict with the other student I had to move, but we resolved that.
The best part was that I predicted it! I suspected that those three would like that website. So I felt smug about that. But I also expected that my more average readers would like Into the Book, but that didn't happen.